Real Life [For Morons]

This is a forum for Real Life [For Morons], a map on Warcraft III.

HomeFAQCalendarSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Life Quests

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MoronSonOfBoron

PostSubject: Life Quests   Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:33 am

Basically, a "life quest" is a storyline that a player can participate in, most often involving NPCs that depend on the player's help. As the player invests time, effort, and items into a life quest, new events and interactions can take place, sometimes permanently changing parts of the world (however small they may be).

Example: A player may meet a poor college student in need of money for tuition, rent, etc. Over time, the college student may need different things from the player, and if these needs are met, the college student may become a successful graduate and return the favor by establishing a new business that not only unlocks new jobs but also new items and activities for everyone. However, these may not be simple tasks of charity or "fetching"! The college student may run into problems that can only be resolved through some scripted story events that might involve other characters; her prodigal roommate may need to be dealt with, or an unscrupulous professor sabotaged.

Other life quests may be of a different nature: a stray animal of some sort appears at the player's doorstep, apparently abandoned or looking for shelter. If the player chooses to care for this creature, they can nurse it back to health and decide its fate: return to the animal shelter for adoption, or raise and train it as your own. Depending on what the player does with the creature, its story may be revealed in different ways; the animal's previous owner may recognize it when you take it to a public event (like a pet fancy show, or perhaps you trained it to be a pit fighter), or the animal may grow into something else entirely...

Unlike most features, Life Quests are player-exclusive; once a Life Quest has been assigned to or taken up by a player, it is up to them to advance it. While other players might be able to help with some parts, the questing player is the main instigator (and beneficiary).

We played with the idea that life quests could be completed across multiple play sessions, using save codes; this would allow players to retain certain benefits across play sessions. However, there would be an issue when players on the same quest (and probably on different parts of it) would attempt to load up; who would get dibs on the quest? At least with a save code, it would be possible to save all of a player's progress in different quests, thus allowing them to work on a different quest for each play session if they so choose.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://samutoka.deviantart.com
MoronSonOfBoron

PostSubject: Re: Life Quests   Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:13 am

One thing that I touched upon in the last post is the "one player per quest" concept. What if it were more like a "one quest per player" system? That is, in a single game, a player can only take up and advance one Life Quest. This would make farming quests in single player a difficult matter, and encourage people to play together; with more players comes more quests per game session. By having more quests active in a single game session, players will have access to more benefits across the board for each completed quest. The changes brought about by these quests ought to be sweeping to match!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://samutoka.deviantart.com
Harken_Dell

PostSubject: Re: Life Quests   Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:42 am

I think I was the one who came up with this idea...

Yeah, this idea just opens up a whole can of worms. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out way too complex and abstract to implement.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GrandKaiser
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Life Quests   Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:54 pm

But doesn't complex define RLFM?

This could add much more replayability. People would play over and over to see what would happen when X, Y, and Z happened instead.

Now for an idea I am stealing from a lazy map developer who didn't like my idea because it would take too "long"...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://reallifeformorons.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Life Quests   

Back to top Go down

Life Quests
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1